A rare opportunity has come up for an artist from the Arts Upper Hunter region to be part of a significant state-wide project, Regional Futures.
Expressions of Interests close 28 March 2022.
Arts Upper Hunter is seeking Expressions of Interest from creatives across all art forms in our region to be commissioned to undertake a creative development of a new work that responds to the prompt ‘What does the future look like for your region?’
Our region covers the Dungog, Muswellbrook, Singleton and Upper Hunter government areas.
There’s a $3,000 artist fee.
At least one artist from the Arts Upper Hunter region will be selected.
For details visit https://www.regionalfutures.net/
Listen to a interview with John O’Brien click here
The NSW Regional Arts Network represents 15 member organisations that support and promote artists and creative practice across regional NSW.
Regional Futures is a two-year program of commissioning and conversations that places artists at the centre of a dialogue exploring a future vision for the place where they live and create.
Managed by the NSW Regional Arts Network and funded by Create NSW, this is an opportunity for artists to participate in a statewide project, capturing a sense of celebration of regional creative practice and diversity of perspectives.
- We work on land of First Nation peoples
- Creative Practice in a regional setting is a place of innovation and excellence
- We celebrate diversity – of artform, of regional setting, of culture, of abilities
- We pay artists industry standard fees
Collaboration is at the heart of Regional Futures. Collaborations are encouraged between artists within their own regions, across regions, with organisations and ultimately with Western Sydney.
Artists from across regional NSW will be commissioned to create work that responds to the prompt ‘What does the future look like for your region?’.
This is an artist led conversation on the changes and impacts currently being faced by the regions and their communities. This body of work will be a creative insight into the issues, challenges and opportunities for regional NSW at this moment in time.
We encourage artists to collaborate with organisations and experts who are also engaged in investigating and visioning the future of regional NSW. This allows for conversation and genuine interchange of ideas, providing a platform to continue dialogue to engage and collaborate with key industries and leaders in their regional area.
PROJECT SCOPE & TIMELINE
2021 – June 2022
Artists commissioned to undertake a creative development of a new work, responding to the prompt ‘What does the future look like for your region?
An online program that will bring together thought leaders in creative practice to engage in conversations that inspire, challenge and extend.
The Regional Futures project website will highlight the work of each commissioned artist. This digital platform provides the opportunity to document and share the creative process, to dig deeper into the conversations and interchange between artists and their project partners. It is as much a home for the works created as other platforms for presentation such as exhibition or performance.
July 2022 – June 2023
Western Sydney Artist Exchange
Presentation and exhibition of commissioned works
It is the intention of Regional Futures to showcase each commissioned work within the community it was created plus explore how the works can be used as a communication tool to engage with the cultural community of Western Sydney. Also situated on the fringe, perceived in some ways as ‘the other’, Regional Futures will provide a platform for creative exchange between regional artists and artists based in Western Sydney.
The current thinking is that this will take the form of a creative showcase of commissioned works complemented with an artist-led symposium. Our aim is to create connections, to identify commonalities and to energise the creative communities and further develop collaborations.
ARTIST FEE & ANTICIPATED OUTCOME
An artist fee of $3 000 is offered for Stage 1 of the Regional Futures commissioning process.
This fee is intended to invest in the creative development of a new work that responds to the prompt ‘What does the future look like for your region?’
What stage of creative output you are able to achieve within this commission fee is dependent on your artform/creative practice and process and is something you need to consider and articulate within your EOI.
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR EOI
Background on your creative practice and career to this point.
Your initial thoughts on;
- How you will respond to the prompt ‘What does the future look like for your region?’
- Partnership opportunities you are keen to follow
- How far along in your creative process do you anticipate to get to?
- What will be your creative output?
EOI process opens 7 March 2022
EOI closes 28 March 2022
Assessment 29 March – 8 April 2022
Announcement of commissioned artists 11 April 2022
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR EOI
You can provide your response in writing (no more than 3 A4 pages) OR short (under 4 minute) video OR short (under 4 minute) voice recording.
Apply online at www.regionalfutures.net.au
The most competitive applications for participation will be from creatives who;
- Live in Regional NSW, within one of the areas serviced by a Regional Arts Development organisation (if you live outside this area your application will not be considered)
- Have had a conversation with either the Creative Director of Regional Futures ( Narelle 0458 716 283 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or John O”Brien, Arts Upper Hunter Executive Director, 0409 382 509.
- Want to use your creative practice to explore your vision, thoughts or concerns for what the future for your region looks like
- Can identify opportunities for collaboration with thought leaders/researchers across other disciplines
- Will benefit from engaging with our Critiqual Conversation program that will connect contemporary practitioners and industry leaders together
- Have a clear pathway to a creative output that can be a part of Stage 2 of Regional Futures, showcasing the diverse creative practice represented across regional NSW.
- Your proposal will be assessed by representatives of the Regional Arts Development Organisation plus the Project Manager and Creative Director of Regional Futures.
PROJECT CONTACT DETAILS
All inquiries regarding the Expression of Interest can be directed to;
M: 0458 716 283
Art Upper Hunter
M:: 0409 382 509